What is medical massage?
Medical massage is a form of massage therapy that is specifically designed to treat medical conditions. Our Medical Massage helps to relieve tension in the muscles, improve circulation, and reduce anxiety and stress levels. It can also help to improve sleep quality and overall mood. Medical massage is often covered by health insurance, making it a cost-effective treatment option for many people.
Things to know about Massage
Medical massage therapy offers numerous benefits that contribute to overall well-being and improved health. One of the primary advantages is its ability to alleviate pain and reduce muscle tension, making it highly effective for individuals suffering from chronic conditions, injuries, or post-operative recovery. A study published in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine showed that massage assisted in lowering cortisol levels and improved mood in people with chronic pain significantly. By stimulating blood flow and promoting the release of endorphins, medical massage therapy not only eases physical discomfort but also helps to reduce stress and anxiety, resulting in a heightened sense of relaxation. Moreover, the treatment enhances joint flexibility and range of motion, aiding in the prevention of future injuries. It can also boost the immune system and improve sleep quality, leading to faster healing and a stronger overall immune response. The holistic approach of medical massage therapy addresses both physical and emotional aspects of well-being, making it an essential component of comprehensive healthcare and providing patients with a more balanced and improved quality of life.
Types of Massage
There are many different types of massage, and each one has its own unique benefits.
- Swedish massage focuses on relaxation and stress relief. This can be very helpful for people who are dealing with a lot of stress in their lives.
- Deep tissue massage helps release tension in the muscles to improve posture, discomfort, headaches and assist in physical performance.
- Aromatherapy massage uses essential oils to provide therapeutic benefits in combination with one of the other massage techniques.
- CBD can be added to your massage to assist in pain ease, decrease inflammation and improve
How Does Medical Massage differ from Therapeutic (Spa) Massage?
A medical massage differs in three important ways:
- It is outcome-based. In addition to stress relief and relaxation, a medical massage focuses on a medical need. It is often used to manage pain, reduce inflammation, relieve tension, improve circulation, relieve nerve compression, improve digestion, increase flexibility or treat other health care concerns.
- Techniques vary: During a spa massage, the techniques likely focus on relaxation. A medical massage therapist will use a broader set of therapies for muscle health and recovery.
- A medical massage therapist will target specific concerns and provide a targeted plan for treatment with recommendations for a series of timed visits versus a periodic spa visit.
It is important to make sure that you’re seeing a qualified, professional massage therapist. Not all massage therapists are created equal, it is important to find someone who has experience and training in the type of massage that you’re interested in.
Massage can be an excellent way to relax and rejuvenate your body, mind, and spirit—no matter if you’re trying to improve a medical condition or simply trying to feel as healthy and vibrant as possible.
TREATMENT AREAS WITH MASSAGE
- Headaches (Migraine, cluster, tension or sinus headaches)
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and Bruxism (jaw clenching) pain
- Repetitive stress injuries (sitting, standing or repeat movement injuries)
- Sports or exercise injuries (Strain or sprain injuries)
- Tight joint or decrease range or motion
- Stress and anxiety relief
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR MASSAGE
It is important to discuss your areas of concern with your Grand Rapids massage therapist. Why are you choosing a medical massage? Were you referred by a provider? What are your goals with medical massage?
No two massages are the same as medical massage is tailored to your needs and improvements with consecutive sessions.
During your visit you will be asked to disrobe. Whether you remove all undergarments or not is up to you and your comfort level. Lighting will be dim with soft relaxing music playing.
There is rarely time for an entire body massage, your session will focus on your targeted areas of concern for an extended period of time.
A 60 minute massage time slot includes a brief discussion on your areas of focus as well as time to recover and re-dress after the massage. The massage therapist will dedicate most of the the time addressing your area(s) of concern as well as other adjoining muscle groups to improve your outcome. A 90 minute massage allows for an extended period of time to address other areas.
Sometimes it is necessary to add other therapies to medical massage to compliment outcomes. These may be stretch therapy, chiropractic care, hormone therapy or IV infusion.
Insurance companies are known to cover massage services in Grand Rapids, MI as a way to promote and maintain good health. Many people view massage as a way to relax and de-stress, while others see it as a way to improve their overall health. Regardless of the reason, massage is often seen as a valuable treatment option that should be covered by insurance companies.
If you have not been referred for medical massage by your provider and are looking for insurance coverage you must have a consultation by one of our providers at Proper Eu to assist in proper diagnosis and treatment.
If you’re looking for a way to improve your health and well-being, massage Grand Rapids, MI is a great consideration. Ask your insurance company if they cover massage and/or alternative healthcare services, as you might find that this is a benefit available to you but that you just haven’t taken advantage of yet.